Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Your own custom side table

This table has been in the works for a number of years but I finally finished it... and love it. Customize it to fit your style. Fill it with decorative rocks, seashells, corks. The possibilities are endless!

 Materials:
A large pot (go with something plastic so it's not too heavy)
Glass top
Filler (I went with rocks but again it's up to you)
Wood panel

Extras:
This is the part that took so long to finish. My pot wasn't as tall as I wanted to I grabbed a circular panel and 4 little chair legs... table legs... sorry, I'm not exactly sure what they are.
My pot
My rocks - I found a huge bag at Garden Ridge for $6
As usual I was hasty and wanted to start on my table. I didn't
have a panel wide enough for the pot but I did have 2 piece
that fit together nicely. You'll want to cut your panel so it sits
just inside the pot leaving a couple of inches from the top
for your filler.
My glass top. It took a while to find a piece the
right size. I finally found it at Hobby Lobby. Used
a 40% coupon and scored it for about $15.
Here are the extra pieces I bought to give the table some height.
Sorry it's blurry. I marked off where I wanted to screw in
the little table legs
I predrilled some holes
Screwed in the legs
I spray painted the base.
Filped the pot over and aligned the base
Screwed the base into the bottom of the pot. I also
ran a line of epoxy along the bottom of the pot
for extra strength.
Flipped the pot (and base) upright. I placed my panel inside
the pot and dumped in my filler.
I also purchased some little plastic sticky cushions so the glass
doesn't rub on the top of the pot.
I'm thinking I might have to switch it out
for wine corks in the near future.
 This wasn't necessarily the cheapest project for a new side table but it's definitely something you won't see anywhere else.

No comments:

Post a Comment